Jail Abuse & Jail Death
Law enforcement officials have legal obligations toward the people in police custody, whether those people are in a squad car, a city jail or a state prison. They are required to protect the safety of the people under their supervision. When they do not take proper care and injury or death results, they can be held liable for the consequences of their actions or inactions.
We have obtained numerous settlements against state, county and city jails on behalf of clients injured while in custody or the families of those who suffered a prison or jail death. We have represented clients who experienced:
- Failure to keep a suicide watch
- Excessive use of force
- Illegal use of chokeholds
- Failure to monitor an inmate’s medical condition
- Failure to determine medication needs of an inmate upon intake
- Failure to provide medical attention
- Failure to protect inmates from attack or to segregate violent inmates
- Taser use by law enforcement officers against inmates or detainees
Jeff is regarded by his peers as one of the state’s top civil rights lawyers and is one of the few plaintiff’s lawyers who regularly seeks to hold government officials accountable for indifference to inmates.
Jeff has successfully brought acses against jails in Travis County, Potter County, Harrison County, Austin County, Brown County, Caldwell County, and Rusk County.
Please call us for a free and confidential consultation at 888-325-5677